Where Do Celebrities Stay in Italy?
No other country in Europe attracts celebrities more than Italy. In the summertime especially, it’s a veritable playground for the rich & famous. From Beyonce & Jay-Z yachting off the coast of Capri, to Jennifer Lopez & Ben Affleck honeymooning here, or Sofia Vergara celebrating her birthday on the Amalfi Coast: Italy is a place to SEE & be seen. And then there are the Kardashians, for whom Italy is the “go-to” wedding destination (whether you’re Kim or Kourtney). So to help plan your travels, & possibly include a George Clooney sighting in them ~ let’s find out: “Where do Celebrities Stay in Italy?”
Because there are SO many celeb hot-spots in Italy ~ I can’t cover them all here. But there is a famous hotel located in Sicily (the “boot” of Italy), where Season 2 of the “White Lotus” was filmed….& that hotel is called the San Domenico Palace. Stars like Jennifer Coolidge, Aubrey Plaza, & hottie Theo James all made Taormina their home while filming. But the San Domenico has attracted Hollywood royalty for years, such as Audrey Hepburn, Sophia Loren, & the Elizabeth Taylor.
Map of Italian Celeb “Hot” Spots
"White Lotus" Hotel
Overview of Italian Celebrity Destinations
- Where Do Celebrities (Like the Kardashians) Stay in Portofino? When Kourtney Kardashian married Travis Barker in 2022: their guests took Portofino by storm. As Dolce & Gabbana hosted their wedding, you can’t stay where the Kardashians did. But staying at Hotel Splendido ($432+) might be even better ~ having hosted everyone from the Duke of Windsor to Ava Gardner, Steven Spielberg, Naomi Campbell, Jennifer Aniston, & Adam Sandler. Another great spot on the Italian coast is Il Pelicano ($997+), which can be found in the exclusive enclave of Porto Ercole.
- Where Do Celebrities Stay in Rome & Milan? Milan is a hot-spot for the fashion crowd, while Rome is an important stop for many stars on foreign press tours. In Milan, the garden bar at Bulgari Hotel Milano ($1,102+/night) is where you’re most likely to run into supermodels like Bella Hadid & Lily Aldridge. For more “old-school” celeb-sightings in Milan, like Madonna & David Beckham: try the Hotel Principe di Savoia ($500+). And in Rome, check out Hotel Hassler ($1,280+) ~ which has hosted everyone from Tom Cruise to Jennifer Aniston.
- Where Do Celebs Stay on the Amalfi Coast? The Amalfi Coast includes some of Italy’s most iconic seaside destinations ~ including Positano, which was featured in “Under the Tuscan Sun” & “The Talented Mr. Ripley.” And the island of Capri has attracted jet-setters for ages: from Beyonce & Jay-Z, to Jackie Kennedy, & J-Lo & Ben. Classic celebrity haunts include one of Positano’s most famous hotels: Le Sirenuse ($678+), where Sienna Miller, Anne Hathaway, & Reece Witherspoon have all stayed ~ the latter on her honeymoon. And on Capri, while most celebs stay on private yachts….they do come to town for dinner! You’re most likely to find them at tony restaurants, like the one in Hotel Punta Tragara ($786+).
- Where do Celebrities Stay in Florence? Florence is perhaps most famous, in a celebrity sense, for Kim Kardashian & Kanye West’s famous 2014 wedding, which was held at Belmond Villa San Michele ($1,620+) ~ overlooking the Duomo & all of the city’s Renaissance splendor. Julia Roberts & Justin Bieber have also graced the halls here…
- Where to Celebrity-Spot in Lake Como & the Dolomites: In Lake Como, there are two spots where you just may run into George Clooney: 1) At gorgeous Villa d’Este (which was also featured in Jennifer Aniston’s movie, “Murder Mystery‘), or 2) At the restaurant in celeb-favorite Grand Hotel Tremezzo ($1,512+). Greta Garbo, Gwen Stefani, Natalie Portman, & even the fictional James Bond have all stayed at this famed Lake Como hotel. As for the Dolomites, head to the luscious town of Cortina d’Ampezzo & check into Cristallo Resort & Spa. Mountain views here are other-worldy.
- Where Do Celebrities Stay in Venice? This city is famous, not just for its canals ~ but also for hosting one of the most A-List events in the world: the Venice Film Festival. And two hotels here are where you’re most likely to mingle with stars: 1) Aman Venice ($1,460+), where George & Amal Clooney got married, with guests like Brad Pitt, Angelina Jolie, & Cindy Crawford; & 2) Belmond Hotel Cipriani ($1,350+), where Gwyneth Paltrow, Jennifer Lopez, Meryl Streep, & Leonardo DiCaprio have all stayed.
Where Do Celebs Stay on the Amalfi Coast?
Nowhere is more popular for celebrites ~ particularly in the summer, than the Amalfi Coast. Sofia Vergara just celebrated her 51st birthday there, & J-Lo & Ben were spotted in Capri during their European honeymoon. But its been popular with celebrities since the days of Jackie Kennedy, when she rebelliously retreated to Europe for a yacht tour with Aristotle Onassis….while she was married to JFK!!! Whether she was angry about his affiliation with Marilyn Monroe, or still grieving the recent loss of a child…who can say.
Point is: the Amalfi Coast has been a top celebrity destination for years. And Positano’s picturesque Le Sirenuse Hotel is a stand-out, even for “money-is-no-object” celebs like Kim Kardashian & Kylie Jenner.
“An absolute dream, best experience ever [staying at Le Sirenuse]. Lovely staff & great dinner at La Sponda. We received compliments from the chef, & the food was fantastic! Sunset cruise was also amazing. Wish I could stay there forever!”
– Brenda Liz Cordero
Where Do Celebrities Stay in Florence?
Florence is one of my favorite cities in the world….& apparently, Kim & Kanye loved it too: as they chose it for their 2014 wedding. While their marriage may not have lasted: Florence is thankfully as beautiful as ever. Walking the statue-filled streets here is truly magical. If you can’t afford to stay where Kim did ~ check out these hotels that all have Duomo views, with some less than $200/night!
Where Do Celebrities Stay in Portofino?
Other than the Amalfi Coast, Portofino is next-up in terms of being a seaside celebrity favorite. And the main spot for sightings here is at Belmond Hotel Splendido. Perched alongside turquoise waters, amidst masses of trees, you’ll feel the essence of “La Dolce Vita” here….having followed in the footsteps of Elizabeth Taylor & Richard Burton, Humphrey Bogart & Lauren Bacall, Rihanna, & of course: Beyonce & Jay-Z.
Where haven’t they been in Italy?!
“Without a doubt one of the best hotels in the world. At Splendido you can expect: jaw-dropping views, vibrant flower beds lining outdoor paths, one of the most memorable breakfast buffets, stylish rooms, kind staff, & an iconic infinity pool overlooking Portofino. Even if you don’t end up staying, highly recommend visiting for an aperitivo on their terrace!”
– Max Green
Celebrity Hot Spots at Lake Como
We’re ending this celebrity-tour of Italy in George Clooney’s haunting grounds: Lake Como. Up near the Italian-Swiss border, & close to the mountainous Dolomites (one of my favorite places), the Grand Hotel Tremezzo is where to focus your attention for potential celebrity sightings. Rumor has it, George frequents the restaurant here quite often….& the view alone is worth it ~ with or without Clooney.
“Is this the best hotel in the world? I don’t have enough experience to say, but many people think so. It’s easily the best hotel I’ve ever stayed at. The location, room, food, service ~ are all of the highest quality. We hated to leave, right down to the minute the bell boys carried our heavy luggage down to the ferry dock! Everything was spectacular! If you’re staying on Lake Como, look no further than the Grand Hotel Tremezzo.
Expensive, yes, but absolutely worth it!”
– Cody Tretschok