Best Tacos in San Jose del Cabo
Let’s face it: a huge reason to visit Cabo, or anywhere in Mexico, for that matter ~ can be summed up in one word: TACOS. When my friend & I traveled to San Jose del Cabo & all over the Baja Peninsula last year, we searched for the best tacos in every new city we traveled to. It was actually one of the first things we did! Whether it was in Todos Santos, La Paz (which is a surprisingly foodie-loving town), or right in downtown Los Cabos, it was always great tacos we searched for. And luckily our friend Matt, a local surf instructor, helped guide us towards the absolute “Best Tacos in San Jose del Cabo!”
***Keep in Mind: This post is on the best tacos in San Jose del Cabo ~ NOT Cabo San Lucas. San Jose del Cabo is a little more mellow than Cabo San Lucas (which is one of Mexico’s top party towns), is closer to the international airport, & has some of the most high-end resorts on the peninsula.
La Lupita & Mezcal
Taqueria el Paisa
Las Cazuelas del Don
El Toro Guero
Overview of Best Tacos Spots
Restaurants that are starred are located right downtown San Jose del Cabo. Click on the name of any restaurant to visit their menu & website.
- **La Lupita & Mezcal = The #1-Rated Taco Joint in Town! Conveniently located downtown, not only is La Lupita open late-night ~ but listen to some of these mouth-watering options: Peruvian Ceviche, Cheese Crust Pastor (whaaattt??!), Roasted Ribs, Drunken Barbacoa, Baja Scallops, & Greek Eggplant (for vegetarians). Ummm…YES PLEASE!! Hours: Tuesday-Sunday, 2PM-2AM.
- El Ahorcado/The Hangman = Funky Skeletal Decor & Some of the Spiciest Sauces in Cabo! If you like spicy food & unusual flavors: head to The Hangman. With over 10+ taco AND 10+ quesadilla choices, plus one of the most extensive sauce & salsa menus ~ you’ll be spoiled for choice here. Hours: Tuesday-Sunday, 4PM-Midnight.
- **Taqueria El Paisa = Glorified Food Cart Serving Up Local’s Favorite Tacos. When we asked our friend Matt (who lives in Cabo) for his best late-night taco recommendation: El Paisa was his choice. It’s located right off the main drag, close to downtown ~ & though the ambience isn’t the finest, their Al Pastor tacos are sensational. Hours: 3AM-11:45PM DAILY.
- Las Guacamayas = Cute Outdoor Patio & Authentic Mexican Vibes. Their meat comes right off the spit: which is ALWAYS a good sign!! If you’re looking for delicious, traditional Mexican food with great flavors & room for big parties: head here. They also have live music! Hours: 11AM-11:45PPM DAILY.
- Las Cazuelas del Don = The YUMMIEST Tortilla Soup in Town. With a perfect five-star rating on Yelp, eating at Don’s is like eating at your favorite uncle’s house: it’s friendly, the chef is the owner, & the food has that authentic, home-cooked flair that’s hard to find in a restaurant. The only problem is their hours: they’re closed on weekends!!?! Hours: Monday-Friday, 1PM-8PM. CLOSED on Saturday & Sunday.
- Lateral Crudo = Modern Taco Spot with DELISH Tacos & LOTS of Beverages!! This place is open early, so if you feel like tacos for breakfast: this is your spot. This was another Matt recommendation ~ & it was my FAVE tacos of the trip!! Try their fish taco AND Al Pastor….heaven, divine, & close to the “Hotel Corridor” & Cabo’s infamous “round-about from hell.” Hours: 7AM-11PM DAILY.
Photos of Great Cabo Taco Joints…
**GWTW Tip: La Lupita is located in downtown San Jose del Cabo, by art galleries, shops, & lots of great restaurants. And they’re located very close to a restaurant with a secret speakeasy….hidden somewhere in the restaurant. (I’ll give you a hint: the restaurant starts with a “B.”)
Best Taco Spots in San Jose del Cabo
That’s it for tacos in Cabo! To read some of my other article on the area, check out this article on tips for renting a car in Cabo ~ or find out where celebrities stay when they visit. I’ll give you a hint….one of the resorts is where Matt works as a surf instructor…& it’s a Jen Aniston favorite: the One & Only Palmilla.
Read Next: How to Get to Flora Farms by Cabo