Where to Stay in Todos Santos
I was in San Jose del Cabo earlier this summer with a friend, & one of the highlights of our trip was staying in the lovely little town of Todos Santos. While Cabo is known for its party scene & all-around debauchery: Todos Santos is known for its charm, art galleries, & a more laid-back, almost sleepy vibe than its crazier cousins. It’s also well-known amongst surfers, as the popular surf break at Cerritos Beach is located just 10 minutes south. But I can assure you: accommodations in Todos Santos are far more upscale than what you’ll find in Cerritos! Here, we’ll get into detail about “Where to Stay in Todos Santos, Mexico.”
Map of Todos Santos Hotels
First off, if you’re flying into the Los Cabos Airport (which we did): know that it’s the EASIEST DRIVE from the airport to Todos Santos! It took just under an hour, on a well-paved toll road, with ZERO traffic. The toll road helps you avoid the busy downtowns of San Jose del Cabo & Cabo San Lucas ~ & whizzes you right up the coast to Todos. There’s pretty much nothing between Cabo & Todos, except a few random taco stands & adventure outposts ~ until you get to Cerritos Beach. The surf there is a big attraction, but the town itself isn’t much to look at. Cerritos is basically a lot of hilly dirt roads with a scattering of some attractive (& some not so attractive) buildings, in various states of completion.
Point is: if you are at all discerning, I highly recommend staying in Todos Santos vs. Cerritos.
Click here to check rental car rates in San Jose del Cabo.
Downtown San Jose del Cabo
Hacienda Todos Los Santos
The Todos Santos Inn
Guaycuro Boutique Hotel
Hotel San Cristobal
Overview of Todos Santos Hotels
Todos Santos is an ideal destination for couples, solo travelers who don’t want to deal with the craziness of Cabo, surfers, & girl’s getaways ~ particularly if you love shopping for beautiful Mexican art or textiles (I found great colorful blankets at Hotel California’s darling gift shop)! When we were there, in July 2021, town was shutting down quite early ~ by about 7:30 or 8PM. If you’re looking to surf and/or shop during the day, eat some GREAT tacos & Mexican food, & soak in more authentic vibes than those offered in Cabo: Todos Santos will be a great fit for you.
Top 5 Hotels in Todos Santos
Of all the accommodations in Todos Santos, these are my top five picks ~ there’s a little something for everyone here.
- Hacienda Todos Los Santos ($160+): Lush Hideaway Just Steps from Town. I LOVED staying here. This family-run hacienda has just a few rooms, but they are HUGE, with some of the biggest bathrooms I’ve ever seen in a hotel room. Our second room (on the second-story) had a sunken shower with windows that opened onto sweeping jungle views; it was absolutely unique! This is a perfect spot for a romantic getaway or a girl’s trip, as you’ve got a lot of room to spread out here. All rooms have large balconies or verandas; the only downside is there’s no food here. But you’re just a short walk from town!
- Hotel California ($179+): The Iconic Todos Santos Hotel in the Heart of Town ~ But Quite Touristy. Just up the street from Hacienda Todos Los Santo is the hotel made famous by the Eagles, in an iconic orange-adobe building located right on the main drag. There’s a nice gift shop here (though some of the employees can be pushy) & a bar/restaurant that many tourists come to visit, but the overall feel seems a bit more Americanized than authentic Mexico here.
- The Todos Santos Inn ($128+): Affordable Historic Gem with Loads of Charm. If we hadn’t stayed at the Hacienda ~ we would’ve stayed here! I’m a fan of anything that oozes history, & when a building has character like this red-bricked, former sugar baron’s home: I’m pretty much an instant fan. Whereas Hotel California has lost some of its authenticity, the Inn has kept theirs in spades. Also located right downtown, next to wonderful Todos Santos Cafe (a great breakfast spot).
- Hotel San Cristobal ($426+): New Hipster-Chic Haven South of Todos Santos. This is probably the most “Instagram-friendly” hotel here, & with that comes….high prices! Located on an isolated spot along the Pacific Ocean, 10 minutes south of Todos Santos, there’s a long dirt road to reach the hotel (meaning you need a car here). We had drinks at the hotel’s bar, & while it was pretty, the vibe was a little….pretentious. All the travel bloggers are raving about this place ~ but I suspect that’s because they’ve been given free rooms. BUT! Rooms do look lovely, & are the most modern of all these hotels. So if you’re looking for a hip retreat & don’t mind being aways out of town, this may be a good option for you.
- Guaycura Boutique Hotel ($160+): Romantic Retreat with Beach Club & Great Dining. This is the hotel that took me by surprise; in my initial research, it didn’t come up at all! I wish I would’ve known about it: from the rooftop bar with views out to the ocean, to romantic El Mirador restaurant….with amazing ocean views, to its two pools & beach club access (just 10 minutes from the hotel), plus rooms with authentic Mexican vibes: you’re getting a lot of bang for your buck here. Perfect for a romantic retreat or girl’s getaway; located right in the center of town.
Photos of Hacienda Todos Santos
Photos of Hotel California in Todos Santos
Goodbye, Todos Santos…
If you’re traveling here from Cabo, I highly recommend renting a car. While it’s easy to walk around Todos by foot: the only real way to explore the surrounding area is by having a car. Especially if you want to surf Cerritos, or head up to La Paz to swim with whale sharks!
Read Next: How to Get to Flora Farms in Cabo