18 Reasons Why You NEED To Do Oktoberfest!
Why You Need to Do Oktoberfest!
Okay – so you’ve heard about Oktoberfest. Maybe you’ve seen pictures, read about it, or know people who’ve gone. But let me tell you: NOTHING you’ve seen, read, or heard comes close to experiencing it for yourself! It’s an epic travel experience, even for epic travelers. I’ve never seen a party like this: it’s just MASSIVE. Been to Coachella? Vegas? In terms of sheer FUN: it doesn’t even compare. Which is why I’m explaining in this post why you NEED to do Oktoberfest for yourself!
Get ready for the biggest party of your life as we take a trip to Munich ~ a city that turns itself upside down every September to host one of the most unforgettable celebrations of BEER and LIFE that you’ll ever experience.
But First…Get Prepared!
One of the main reasons why you need to do Oktoberfest is so you can wear Bavarian costumes!! Who doesn’t like to dress up?! In Munich, women wear “dirndls” & men wear “lederhosen.” Check out some fine samples below…
Fast Facts About Oktoberfest
- When: Oktoberfest runs from mid-September thru the first weekend in October; between 16-18 days.
- Where: Munich, Germany.
- How Many People Attend: 6 million+ each year.
- When Did it Start: 1810.
- How Many Tents are There: 14 large tents, 20 smaller ones.
- Exact Location of Oktoberfest: Theresienwiese.
- Where to Stay: To find hotel accommodations in Munich, click here. If you want to stay within walking distance to Oktoberfest, try Hotel Seibel (0.2 miles from Oktoberfest), the Ghotel Munchen-City (0.3 miles), Four Points by Sheraton Munich Central (0.3 miles), & TRYP Munchen City Center Hotel (0.3 miles).
18 Reasons Why You Need to Do Oktoberfest!
1) It’s an INSANE bonding experience. Whether you know the people you’re traveling with super well, or you just met yesterday ~ it doesn’t really matter. Oktoberfest has a way of making complete strangers feel intimate within minutes. And it’s one of the BEST places to travel as a group – though I love solo travel, this is definitely NOT the place to do it! Go as a group, and prepare to know each other A LOT better by the end of 48 hours. Or even 24.
2) You get to drink at the world-famous Hofbrauhaus. For beer drinkers, this is arguably the most legendary beer house in the world. And if you visit during Oktoberfest, you’ll witness it at its peak of madness & fun. Walking up, we could feel its walls reverberating with life, music, & people stomping their feet. Inside, we found boisterous music & people from all over the world. Visiting the Hofbrauhaus is one of the main reasons why you need to do Oktoberfest ~ & even during this crazy time of year, eight of us found a large table within minutes…so don’t let the crowds daunt you!
3) You’ll make new friends SUPER quickly. My friend Zsa Zsa & I veered off from our group late one night in Munich. Within about ten minutes, we found ourselves in the following situation…
4) ALL your pictures will turn out blurry. But it will be SO worth it.
5) You get to wear really cool costumes. Yes ~ all the girls wear those cute little dirndls (you know, breast-baring, Milk Maid-type dresses) while the guys are knocking about in suspenders & lederhosen. But, you also have the freedom to explore different kinds of costumes, & different sides of your personality: like my friend Frenchy Fly below, who is exploring what it feels like to have some really awesome cleavage.
6) You get to act like a kid and ride magic carpets.
7) You get to say “PROST!” like, a million times. And mean it every time. “Prost” is German for “Cheers!” Somehow, it gets more fun every time you say it. And the more people you say it with, the more fun it gets.
8) Even if you don’t like beer – you will still LOVE Oktoberfest. Personally, I can’t stand beer. I don’t like the taste, I feel bloated after I drink it, & it makes me burp. At Oktoberfest?! No matter! By the end of the day, I began to LOVE beer! Alas, it was a temporary love ~ but still. And for non-beer drinkers, they can add lemonade to your beer which makes it taste sooo much better. So win-win.
9) You get to walk down cute, cobblestone streets! (We don’t have this kind of shit in America, so it makes us really, really happy).
10) You will end up kissing random strangers. Or friends. Or both. At Oktoberfest it becomes abundantly clear that alcohol has been responsible for approximately 99.9% of all random hook-ups in the world (that is not a scientific fact – rather, a discerning observation). Embrace it. Go with it. Just choose your partner wisely ~ otherwise your friends may give you endless shit the next day…
11) You get to witness one of the most MASSIVE parties on Planet Earth. There is nothing like Oktoberfest. You simply cannot prepare yourself for how BIG & bawdy this party is. You may think that Germans are a little uptight: but you’ll be shocked at just how thoroughly these fuckers can party. Their everyday, no-nonsense demeanor disguises some of the heartiest party-ers I’ve seen ANYWHERE in the world. So grab a cup & enjoy it. Take it all in.
12) You’ll dance on wooden tables & sing your little lungs out. You’ll join big groups, start your own, wander off, get lost from your friends, find new ones, & generally, have the time of your life. Standing atop a shaking table, dancing with about 6,000 people, all singing “Sweet Home Alabama” as loud as humanly possible ~ turns out is one of the most exhilarating human experiences you may ever have. Live it up.
13) If you don’t like the vibe in one tent, don’t worry: there are plenty to choose from. We started our day in a pretty mellow tent, spent mid-afternoon wandering, then ended up in the most raucous, loud, fabulous tent. Ask me to remember any names…& I simply can’t do it. Point is: you choose your own adventure at Oktoberfest. If you still haven’t found what you’re looking for ~ trust me: it’s out there. Just look a little harder.
14) You’ll perform random acts of kindness. While sitting on a deck, my friend Mike noticed a guy who, it looked like from afar, had passed out on the lawn. Maybe he was just taking a little nap ~ who knows. But Mike got concerned, thinking maybe this guy had lost his friends. Being the affably guy he is, Mike went over to the lawn & struck up a conversation with this guy (after he woke up). Then they legit talked for about 30 minutes & became fast friends. Because people are so happy at Oktoberfest (side effect of beer), you’ll see acts of kindness all over the place!
15) You’ll end up with pictures on your phone that you just can’t explain. And you will like it.
16) You’ll inevitably get in arguments with your friends: about getting lost, kissing too many people, which tent to go to, being an idiot ~ whatever. You name it, you’ll fight about it. Excessive amounts of alcohol & big groups = fighting inevitable. Tasha & I got SO lost walking home, & fought like cats & dogs about which way to go! But don’t worry ~ most likely you’ll laugh about it the next day, & your friendship will get stronger because it survived a minor rough patch. OR, you’ll realize that your friend is such an idiot that you never want to party with them again. But either way: you’ve learned something.
17) You’ll experience the entire gamut of human emotion in one day ~ which is why you’ll always remember Oktoberfest. One minute, you’ll be shyly sipping your beer. The next, you’ll be on top of a bar. Then, panic ~ you’ve lost all your friends! When you find them, moments or hours later, you’ll experience elation and relief like you’ve never known. Rarely in one day are we given the gift of experiencing so many emotions. It’s overwhelming, magnificent, lonely, irritating, and joyous. And it’s ALL part of the experience. Which is why you’ll remember it so well, long after…& to me, this is the main reason why you NEED to do Oktoberfest.
18) Finally, and most to the point: you will simply have the best time ever.
Why You Need to Do Oktoberfest!
Auf Wiedersehen, Oktoberfest!
I hope I’ve given a tiny taste of why you need to do Oktoberfest for yourself! Have you ever been to this fine festival in Munich ~ & if so, where’d you stay? Was your hotel or Airbnb close to the festival grounds? Let me know in the comments below!
Follow Me on Instagram!
Why I Use World Nomads Travel Insurance
Whenever I travel ~ especially if I’m traveling solo, I always buy travel insurance. It gives me the peace of mind to go out and have all kinds of adventures, because I know someone’s got my back. Who do I use? World Nomads. They cover more ADVENTURE activities than any other company ~ from sky-diving to spelunking to Oktoberfest’ing. They’re not your average insurance company. Read more about travel insurance here.