Where to Stay for Coachella & Stagecoach 2023
I lived right across from the Coachella grounds for many years, so I’m very familiar with all of the communities right around the Empire Polo Fields: which are some of the best places to stay if you’re visiting for festivals. In this article, we’ll take a look at “Where to Stay for Coachella & Stagecoach” ~ from high-end home rentals in exclusive spots like the Madison Club (where the Kardashians own homes), to more affordable rentals….& nearby hotels with great party pools.
Map of Coachella Grounds
Indian Palms (More Affordable Homes)
Madison Club (VERY High-End)
La Quinta Resort (796 ROOMS!!)
Legacy Villas (Great for Big Groups)
Fantasy Springs Resort
Renaissance Esmeralda (Great Pools)
Overview of Home Rentals by Coachella
- The Madison Club: This VERY high-end golf community sits right across from the Polo Fields. But the only way you’re staying here is, A) You’ve got a TON of money, B) You know someone who’s got a TON of money, or C) You’re a Kardashian. Home rentals here could be in the $50,000 range for Coachella, if not more.
For more on where celebrities like to stay in Palm Springs, read this article.
- Rancho Santana: This is a mid-to high-end community next-door to the Madison Club, with NO golf course. It’s hard to score home rentals during Coachella, as most owners don’t like to rent out their homes (I know because I used to live there)! But if you can swing it: you’ll be able to walk across the street to the Polo grounds.
- **Indian Palms Country Club: Now, here’s where you’ll find a lot of Coachella rentals. The speed bumps inside the gates here are a nightmare, but you’ll also find some of the most affordable housing rentals for Coachella. And you’re right across from the Polo grounds here, on the east side. Homes here are modest, but many people rent their homes out during both Coachella & Stagecoach ~ & rates are far cheaper than at high-end communities surrounding the grounds.
- Mountain View Country Club: On the west side of the Polo grounds, you’ve got this gorgeous, high-end golf community. If you can afford it: this is a great place to stay. Homes have incredible mountain views, & you’re closer to Coachella’s entrance. Rentals here will set you back at least $5,000+ for the weekend.
- **The La Quinta Cove: If you’re looking for more affordable rentals in La Quinta, check out the “La Quinta Cove.” This is a large area with thousands of homes, that’s not gated. Homes range from modest Santa Fe’s, to larger compounds. Many people in the Cove list their homes on VRBO or Airbnb, & this puts you close to the cute restaurants in Old Town La Quinta ~ & about 10-minutes from the Coachella grounds.
- **Other Golf Communities with Home Rentals: PGA West is a HUGE community of golf-course homes, with everything ranging from townhomes ~ to high-end, multi-million dollar spreads. Many people here rent their homes out year-round (I know this because my parents have lived here for 20 years!): so this is a great place for your Coachella search. It’s far enough that you’ll need to Uber, bike, or shuttle to the Coachella grounds. The Hideaway is an exclusive golf community with gorgeous homes; similar to the Madison Club. Home rentals here will be very expensive ~ but you’re also very close to Coachella.
Great Rentals in PGA West: Check out this PGA West rental that sleeps 18 people ~ with a fire pit & heated pool! Or this INSANE home with one of the biggest pools I’ve seen in the desert….that’s located right on the golf course.
Overview of Hotels by Coachella
Hotels in Indio like the Hampton Inn & Fairfield Inn & Suites sell out quickly, as they’re the closest hotels to the Coachella grounds, with a limited number of rooms. Fantasy Springs Resort is another option that puts you within a few miles of Coachella. Because it’s much larger (250 rooms), it takes longer to sell out.
Indian Palms Country Club, which I mentioned above in the “Home Rental” section, also has a hotel ~ & this is one of the closest hotels to the Coachella grounds (but act fast, as it sells out quickly).
The same thing goes for hotels in La Quinta (of which there aren’t many). Smaller hotels like the Chateau at Lake La Quinta sell out quickly, as there are only 24 rooms. The La Quinta Resort, on the other hand, has 796 rooms!!! While they will still sell out: it takes them longer ~ & their high prices can be an issue. But this is an AMAZING hotel, with 40+ pools. Some turn into real parties during Coachella! There’s also a sister resort next-door called Legacy Villas, which offers hundreds of beautifully-furnished 2 & 3-bedroom condos, most overlooking a pool.
There’s an Embassy Suites across from Old Town La Quinta: but it’s got the least fun vibe of all the La Quinta hotels. I know this….because I used to live here too! If you need a place to stay for Coachella though, it’s a solid option. There are over 300 well-appointed & comfortable rooms, many with kitchens: so you may get lucky finding last-minute Coachella or Stagecoach rooms here.
Overview of Hotels in Indian Wells
Indian Wells is just a 15-minute drive to the Coachella grounds, depending on traffic. There are three big resorts here that offer beautiful pools & LOTS of rooms: Tommy Bahama Miramonte Resort & Spa (215 rooms), Renaissance Esmeralda (560 rooms), & its neighbor: Hyatt Regency Indian Wells (530 rooms).
The latter two are where you’re more likely to find last-minute rooms, as they’ve got more inventory.
Best Hotels in Palm Springs for Coachella
Finally, we move to Palm Springs. It’s a good 45-minute drive from Palm Springs to the Coachella grounds (more with traffic), so if it was me: I’d only stay here if I was just going to the Festival for one day. Otherwise, I wouldn’t want to drive an hour each day! But that’s just me. Hotels here are a lot more *hip* than those right by Coachella, so there is a trade-off in that respect.
As for great party pools during Coachella: The Saguaro Hotel is a candy-colored dream & great for photos, with 245 rooms. This is one of the most reasonable hotels in Palm Springs ~ but 4 people max per room. The Ace Hotel & Swim Club has a popular pool, & during Festivals, this place gets happening. Think: hipster chic. ARRIVE Hotel is a newer spot, & this is where I’d stay for a Palm Springs weekend: it’s hip & modern, but with a fresh feel. Great pool area & coffee on-site as well.
For celebrity sightings, you’ve got the Parker Palm Springs ~ which is pricey, but ideal for privacy-seeking celebs. The scene during Coachella is elevated chic. L’Horizon is another place where you might spot celebs, & Villa Royale also feels like a celebrity hideaway.
Some of these places may be sold out by the time you book ~ so for a bigger hotel in Palm Springs, check out 400-room Margaritaville Resort. It’s got great decor & a pretty pool area, & used to be called the Riviera.
The Largest Hotels in Palm Springs (That are Less Likely to Sell Out for Coachella):
- The Renaissance Palm Springs Hotel has 410 rooms, & is attached to the Convention Center ~ so vibes aren’t the best, but you may get lucky finding a last-minute room.
- The Hilton Palm Springs has 260 rooms & pretty grounds (but pretty boring rooms);
- Hotel Zoso’s got 163 rooms & more character than other hotels.
- Kimpton Rowan has a great location downtown, facing the mountains ~ & a beautiful rooftop pool + 153 rooms.
- The Hyatt Palm Springs has 200 all-suite rooms that are a little boring ~ but a decent choice for last-minute rooms.
- The Margaritaville Resort is still my favorite in terms of size AND character, with pretty turquoise-blue & white rooms & a chic vibe.
Where to Stay for Coachella & Stagecoach
The bottom line for any hotel mentioned above is: BOOK. AS. SOON. AS. POSSIBLE!!! Many are already sold out, which is why I’ve honed in on the bigger hotels here, where you’ll have a better chance of scoring last-minute rooms.
But if you’re not having any luck finding hotels, or you’ve got a big party & need a larger home: check out some of the gorgeous homes for rent on VRBO. There are still many available right around the polo fields, many with beautiful pools & backyards….perfect for photos & lounging between shows.
Read Next: Best Women’s Cowboy Boots for Stagecoach