Where to Stay by the Cliffs of Moher
The Cliffs of Moher are one of Ireland’s top destinations, with their rugged beauty & jaw-dropping cliffside views. Set in County Clare, the Cliffs were formed over 320 million years ago, & run for 14 kilometers (8 miles) right along the North Atlantic Ocean. Because they face west, this is an amazing place to visit at sunset….making it preferable to stay nearby, within easy driving distance. Here, we’ll learn “Where to Stay by the Cliffs of Moher” ~ & which hotels are great for families, while others are better suited for adults seeking a little romance…
Map of Ireland + Renting a Car
Renting a car is one of the best things you can do in Ireland. The country is relatively small, & having a car is the easiest way to get around, especially if you’re visiting spots like the Cliffs of Moher, or some of Ireland’s famous castles. Driving on the left-side of the road takes a little getting used to, & you may hit a few curbs along the way: but driving here is fairly traffic-free & absolutely lovely. If you’re uncomfortable driving a stick shift, be sure to reserve in advance & specify that you need an automatic.
Cliffs of Moher
Falls Hotel & Spa
Cliffs of Moher Hotel
Overview of Hotels by Cliffs of Moher
- Cliffs of Moher Hotel ($169+/night) = 3.7 miles/6 kms = Closest Hotel to Cliffs of Moher in a Romantic Spot on Liscannor Bay: Cute hotel in the town of Liscannor, with a fine-dining restaurant & adjoining pub, that gets rave reviews for its food & atmosphere! Rooms are comfortable but not fancy; some have balconies with sea views. This is the closest hotel to the ocean, & makes a great base for exploration & romance…
- Doolin Inn ($174+/night) = 4 miles/6.4 kms = Best Hotel for Families with a Great Restaurant: Just a 7-minute walk from the oceanfront Cliffs of Moher Walking Trail, this delightful inn has bright & airy rooms ~ some with up to 4 beds. Great for families! There’s a breakfast buffet here, popular Anthony’s Restaurant, lounge, & sunny terrace with seating. From Doolin, you can go caving, hiking, cycling, or horseback riding…lots to do here!
- Falls Hotel & Spa ($128+/night) = 9 miles/14 kms = Set in a Former 18th-Century Mansion on Inagh River: A little further than the other hotels from Cliffs of Moher ~ this is a great place to stay if you’re looking for a quieter spa hotel on lovely grounds. Rooms are cozy & contemporary; there are also 9 apartments with kitchens, & 1 cottage with a private garden. A good spot for golfers too, as you’re just a few miles from Lahinch Golf Club. Great for an adult’s getaway!
Photos of Doolin Inn
Check rates at the cozy, family-run Doolin Inn, which offers free breakfast ~ as well as the opportunity to go caving, hiking, walk the Cliffs of Moher Walking Trail, or go horse-back riding nearby.
Photos of Falls Hotel & Spa
Check prices at the Falls Hotel & Spa ($154+/night), a former 18th-century mansion with a pool & spa, located in the town of Ennistymon, on the Inagh River.
Other Things to Do by Cliffs of Moher
- Take a scenic drive around scenic Liscannor Bay;
- Ferry across to the Aran Islands for the day ~ or for an overnight stay;
- Go golfing, hiking, horse-back riding, or caving in the nearby area;
- Meet the animals at Moher Hill Open Farm;
- Take a tour of “The Rock Shop” in Liscannor, or go shopping at the town’s “Woollen Market;”
- Take a walk around Hag’s Head;
- Or simply try to sample as many pubs as you can!
Read Next: Best Ireland Castle Stays for Families