Welcome to Italy!
Italy! Ohhh…Italy! Frances Mayes made Italy spectacularly famous with her book, “Under the Tuscan Sun.” It made all of us want to live the good life in Italy & never look back. But the truth is: the secret about Italy was out long before she turned it into an international phenomenon with Diane Lane as its cover girl. Welcome to Italy Travel.
What makes Italy so special? Let me throw out a few names here….how about Rome. Florence. The Duomo. The David. Michelangelo. The Vatican. The Sistine Chapel. Cinque Terre. Milan. Lake Como. The canals of Venice. The leaning tower of Pisa. The island of Capri. Portofino. The Colosseum. The Trevi Fountain. Tuscany.
Are you starting to get the idea?
Italy may be home to more iconic, incredible places than anywhere in the world, set against the backdrop of one of the world’s greatest, near-mythological civilizations: the Roman Empire. As Frances Mayes says: “Italy is endless.” You could spend your entire life in Italy, & still not see it all. But we can try. Welcome to your Italy Travel Guide!
Italy Travel Overview!
- Safety = Very Safe, similar to most of Europe 95% 95%
- Cost = Can be very expensive or very cheap ~ depending on how you travel! 60% 60%
- Adventures = SO MANY. They’re Everywhere!!! 99% 99%
- How Safe I Felt as a Female Traveler = Very Safe, but Italian men can be persistent & aggressive! 90% 90%
- Italian Drivers = 100%, Absolutely-Freaking CRaZY!!! 100% 100%
Italy Travel Quick Facts!
- Italy in One Word = Heaven.
- Italy in One More Word = Architecture.
- Wi-Fi = Because there are so many major cities sprinkled throughout Italy (Rome, Florence, Venice, Milan, etc.), Wi-Fi is typically readily available in large cities. Whether it’s as fast as yours at home ~ that’s another story. But at nice hotels, expect good Wi-Fi.
- Global Peace Ranking = #38 out of 163 countries (U.S. is #103) = Europe, in general, is a very safe place to travel ~ & Italy is no exception.
- Hotels = Hotels in hot spots can be pricey ~ try Airbnb or stay in family-run pensiones to save money.
- Must-Do’s = Too many to list. Drink wine in Tuscany. Marvel at the “David” statue in Florence. Wander the canals of Venice. Go on a crazy car ride in Rome. Hike Cinque Terre. Search for George Clooney at Lake Como. Pretend you’re a celebrity on the island of Capri. Sample pizza in Naples. And on & on & on….
- Is Italy Good for Solo Travelers = Yes. Not only is it a safe country with a great rail system that makes it easy to get around, but it’s also got a well-developed network of hostels & pensiones (similar to B&B’s) that make it easier to travel on a budget.
- What to Expect as a Female Traveler = Italian guys are good-looking & well-dressed ~ but damn, they can be AGGRESSIVE! You’ll hear “Ciao Bella!” & all sorts of Italian terms of endearment simply while walking down the street. I personally didn’t find it scary or threatening, but it can get annoying. Italian men can be very persistent!
- Would I Go Back = Yes!!! There is so much I have left to explore!! (I could also envision retiring here one day…just saying…)