Best Brunch Spots in San Diego
It’s hard to beat summer in San Diego….the balmy beaches never seem to get too warm, & in terms of restaurants: there’s something for everyone in this fair city. Particularly when it comes to brunch, which you can find every day of the week in San Diego (hallelujahhh)! Whether you’re looking for good old-fashioned comfort food, beachfront vibes, or a hip & visually-stunning spot to post on Instagram: here are the some of the “Best Brunch Spots in San Diego!” Our tour will start in the Gaslamp District, then head over to Hillcrest & North Park ~ ending up on San Diego’s most popular beaches: from Coronado up to Del Mar.
Map of San Diego Brunch Spots
Cafe 21 Gaslamp
Hash House a Go Go
Cody's La Jolla
PB Shore Club
The Fig Tree Cafe
Little Lion Cafe
Atypical Waffle Company
Harley Gray Kitchen & Bar
OB Surf Lodge
Overview of Best Brunch Spots in San Diego
There are wayyy too many brunch spots in San Diego to name them all: so what I’ve done is to pick some of the best spots in the city’s most popular neighborhoods. Click on the name of the restaurant to check out their menu; all hours are current, per restaurant websites.
- Best Brunch Spots in Downtown & Gaslamp Quarter: 1) Provisional Kitchen, at the Pendry Hotel ~ Grab mimosa flights + a killer breakfast pizza at this popular spot. Brunch Hours: 7AM-2PM Daily. 2) Lionfish Coastal Cuisine at the Pendry Hotel ~ Sunday Brunch involves $25 Bottomless Mimosas + seafood-forward brunch fare. Brunch Hours: 10AM-3PM Sundays. 3) Cafe 21 Gaslamp ~ Farm-to-table brunch in the Gaslamp. Hours: 8AM-3PM Daily. 4) Morning Glory, in Little Italy ~ Hip, bright, & PINK Instagram-friendly breakfast joint, with boozy coffee options. Hours: 8AM-3PM Mon-Friday, 8AM-4PM Weekends.
- Best Brunch Spots in North Park: 1) Holy Matcha, aka the “Pink Palace” ~ Unique it is here: you’ll find frosted matcha donuts + Gluten-free Collagen Waffles (whoaaa!). Hours: 9AM-6PM Mon-Friday, 9AM-7PM Weekends. 2) Son of a Toast ~ Hip espresso bar + cafe that serves breakfast ALL DAY!! 3) Atypical Waffle Company ~ Grab a laid-back brunch (mini-waffles, anyone?) + cold brew on their cute outdoor patio. Hours: 8AM-2PM Daily (Closed Mondays). 4) Breakfast Republic (7 S.D. locations) ~ They’ve got a BIG breakfast menu with all kinds of Benedicts, pancakes, French toast, + more traditional fare AND great espresso. This is a YES for me!! Hours: 7AM-3PM Daily.
- Best Brunch Spots in Hillcrest: 1) Hash House a Go Go: One of the hippest breakfasts in Hillcrest, with BIG portions, all kinds of pancakes, & signature Bloody Mary’s. They don’t take reservations & the line is usually long: get here early! Hours: 7:30AM-2PM Daily. 2) Snooze, an A.M. Eatery ~ Retro orange outdoor seating leads you into Snooze; choose from their Pancake Flight or Breakfast Burrito, along with TONS of other options. Something for everyone here. Hours: 6:30AM-2:30PM Mon-Friday, 6:30AM-4PM Weekends. 3) Harley Gray Kitchen & Bar ~ Avocado toast & macadamia nut banana pancakes? Check. Lobster Benedict? Check. Full bar? Check. Brunch Hours: 9AM-3PM Weekends Only. 4) Better Buzz Coffee ~ With several locations, this is probably the CUTEST coffee shop I’ve ever seen! Their designer did a damn good job. Come here if you’re looking for great coffee & a few great breakfast options ~ not a huge menu. Hours: 6AM-8PM Daily.
Best Brunch Spots on San Diego’s Beaches…
- Best Brunch Spots in Pacific Beach/Ocean Beach: 1) PB Shore Club: Want brunch right on the sand with great people-watching & bit of a scene? Head to the Shore Club. The only problem for breakfast? They open late… Hours: Opens 11AM Mon-Friday, 10AM on Weekends. 2) Fig Tree Cafe ~ Another popular local’s breakfast spot in PB, this is a quaint little spot with colorful surfer vibes. Their menu is HUGE, but stand-outs are their “Breakfast Sushi,” French Toast sampler, & Antioxidant Mimosa. Only in California! Hours: 7AM-3PM Daily 3) OB Surf Lodge ~ Located right across from the OB Pier, Surf Lodge is a throwback to a simpler time…laid-back, 60’s surfer vibes here, with a large breakfast menu & breakfast served daily. Breakfast Hours: 9:30AM-2:30PM Daily. 4) Little Lion Cafe ~ Adorable little Belgian cafe, across from the ocean in OB ~ closer to Sunset Cliffs. Brunch Hours: 9AM-1PM Thurs-Sunday (Closed Mon-Weds).
**For an “Occasion Brunch” on Shelter Island ~ check out Bali Hai. This popular Tiki-themed restaurant is such a FUN place to dine, & it sits right on the marina with great views of both the water & downtown. Brunch Hours: 10AM-2PM Sunday Only.
- Best Brunch Spots in La Jolla. 1) The Cottage ~ This is my kind of place: cozy, with a white-picket fence & killer breakfast + LOTS of mimosa + drink options (including kombucha)! A long-time La Jolla brunch staple. Hours: 7:30AM-3PM Daily. 2) Cody’s La Jolla ~ If you want a side of ocean view with your Blueberry Pancakes: come to Cody’s. Breakfast & lunch served ALL DAY; more modern than The Cottage. Hours: 8AM-3PM Daily. 3) Richard Walker’s Pancake House ~ One of the oldest breakfast joints in town, with several locations + a BIG menu & a pet-friendly patio ~ & they open early! Hours: 6:30AM-2:30PM Daily.
- Best Brunch Spots in Coronado: 1) The Henry ~ Offering smoothies, scrambles, & smashed avocado toast + a neighborhood vibe, Henry’s is a great spot for breakfast in Coronado every day of the week. Breakfast Hours: 7AM-10:30AM Daily. 2) Crown Room Brunch at Hotel Del ~ Long-hailed as one of the best brunches in San Diego: the buffet held in the Hotel Del’s Victorian ballroom is as classic as brunch gets in SD. Brunch Hours: 9:30AM-1PM Sundays Only. 3) Crown Bistro ~ Not to be confused with the Crown Room, the Bistro is a cute little French restaurant serving breakfast daily, from omelettes to Benedicts to Lemon Poppy Seed Pancakes. Yuummmyy. Hours: 8AM-1:30PM Daily. 4) Serea San Diego ~ For a high-end, seaside weekend brunch: head to Serea’s, also located at the Hotel Del. Expensive, but the views & vibe are worth it. Brunch Hours: 9:30AM-2PM Weekends Only.
- Best Brunch Spots in Del Mar & Solana Beach: 1) Ranch 45 ~ Grab a fresh, farm-to-table brunch in cute Solana Beach at Ranch 45. Breakfast served daily until 4PM!! Breakfast Hours: 8AM-4PM Daily. 2) Stratford Court Cafe ~ Located right in the heart of Del Mar’s downtown, this “Neighborhood Garden Cafe” serves up a delicious breakfast with lots of options, in a garden setting. Hours: 7AM-3PM Mon-Friday, 7AM-4PM Weekends. 3) Adelaide’s at L’Auberge Del Mar ~ One of the most popular hotels in town serves up daily breakfast at their beautiful restaurant, with ocean views. Hours: Open at 7AM Daily.
Drop into Adelaide’s at the upscale L’Auberge Del Mar for brunch, or for a more quaint option: try Stratford Court Cafe.
Best Brunch Spots in San Diego
That’s it for great breakfast joints in San Diego….happy brunching & imbibing! And if you’re heading out to Palm Springs, check out my guide to the best brunch spots in Palm Springs ~ along with the best hotel pools to lay out at!
Read Next: Best Off-Leash Dog Beaches in San Diego