Solo Female Travel in Nicaragua!
Let’s talk “Solo Female Travel in Nicaragua!” If you love Costa Rica, chances are ~ you will love Nicaragua too. There are tons of volcanoes to climb, beautiful beaches & lakes, great surf, friendly locals & ex-pats, & some of the best food anywhere in Central America. Popular places to visit in Nicaragua include colorful Granada (featured in this video), Leon (where you can volcano-board), San Juan del Sur (beach party town), & Ometepe Island.
In this video, we’re going to stay right around the gorgeous, colorful city of Granada, Nicaragua. I stayed in Granada for two weeks, & really got into the local culture. The video brgins on the drive from Managua International Airport to Granada (about 45 minutes), with a stop at the famous, active Masaya Volcano ~ which you can view day or night! There are night views of the volcano later in the video…
Then, we head to the colorful streets of Granada, with its famous yellow cathedral (that’s on the cover of many Central America guide books), & the lovely horse-drawn carriages you’ll see all around the city. Next, we climb the volcano called Mombacho, which is visible from many of the rooftops in the video. It was sunny & warm in Granada….but slightly colder & raining on top of Mombacho ~ bring a light jacket if you climb it!
Finally, the video ends with a boat tour around some of the 365 little islands (islets) near Granada, on Lake Nicaragua ~ or Lago de Nicaragua, which is the largest lake in Central America. We even see monkeys on one of the islands…
I really loved my time of solo female travel in Nicaragua. I felt comfortable there & relaxed, which is pretty much the overall vibe of Nicaragua ~ & I hope that comes through in the video.
Let’s go to Nicaragua!
Solo Female Travel in Nicaragua ~ Video!
Nicaragua Travel Quick Facts!
- Nicaragua in One Word = Volcanoes.
- Nicaragua in One More Word = Colonial.
- Wi-Fi = Pretty good in major cities, but check to see if your hotel has multiple routers.
- Global Peace Ranking = #69 out of 163 (U.S. is #103) = Statistically safer than the United States!
- Hotels = Great value. For under $50 US per night, you can find some gems.
- Must-Do’s = Hike a volcano! Swim in Central America’s biggest lake, Lago de Nicaragua. Visit colonial gems Granada or Leon. Surf a world-class break. Party on the beach in San Juan del Sur.
- Is Nicaragua Good for Solo Travelers = Yes. I was there for a month in early 2017 & had zero problems & no negative encounters.
- What to Expect as a Female Traveler = Expect some catcalls, especially from groups of men on the street. Fairly harmless but can be annoying.
- Would I Go Back = Yes!! I need to explore more of the beaches!
What You Need in Nicaragua
It’s pretty much always warm in Nicaragua ~ like between 70-90 degrees Fahrenheit. Rainy season in Nicaragua runs from May-October, with the wettest month being September. If you’re visiting during this time, definitely bring some light rain gear ~ but likely, it will still be quite warm. As for the rest of the year, what do you need? BIKINIS. ROMPERS. Basically, any cute, beach-ready clothes that you’ve been dying to wear.
You’re also fairly close to the equator here, so don’t forget to bring good sunscreen! Especially if you’re traveling from America or Europe, where the sun’s rays are a lot less strong.
Read Next: Best Mineral Sunscreens for Travel!
Where I Stayed in Granada
- In Granada, Under $50: My favorite choice in Granada for solo female travel is the Backpacker’s Inn. It’s a hostel but they also have beautiful, HUGE private rooms. And it’s right across the street from La Merced Church, in a great location, for $40/night (private room price). But there are SO many great hotels in Granada, Nicaragua for right around $50! Other good choices include: Hotel El Almirante, Hotel Kekoldi de Granada, and Hotel Antigua Estacion Granada. Search all Granada, Nicaragua hotels here.
Solo Female Travel in Nicaragua
Thanks for reading this post & watching my video on solo female travel in Nicaragua! In case you’re wondering what some of my other favorite solo female travel destinations are, they include Iceland, Austria, & Ireland ~ as well as parts of the Yucatan Peninsula in Mexico. If you’re new to travel & need some encouragement ~ hit me up in the comments below or email me!
And if you’d like to see more female travel videos, click on the “Subscribe” button below & subscribe to my YouTube channel!
Read Next: Nicaragua Travel Guide
Why I Use World Nomads
Whenever I travel ~ especially if I’m traveling solo, I always get travel insurance. It gives me the peace of mind to go out and have all kinds of adventures, because I know someone’s got my back. Who do I use? World Nomads. They cover you whether you’re sky-diving, spelunking, or volcano-boarding in Nicaragua: they’re not your average insurance company. Read more about travel insurance here.