Welcome to Thailand!
Thailand is beautiful. Thailand is cheap. Thailand has “pussy shows” on offer in Bangkok’s infamous Red Light district (Patpong). You can get $5 massages every day of your Thailand stay, if you so choose. There are temples, tuk-tuks, turquoise, secret lagoons (“The Beach” was filmed here), & some of the warmest, loveliest people I’ve met anywhere in the world. Thailand has already been discovered by most intrepid international travelers ~ & if you haven’t already been, I’d put Thailand travel high up on your bucket list.
Thailand was the first country I ever traveled solo to by myself. Twenty years later, I wrote about that trip in a piece that was published by the Huffington Post, called “How I Fell in Love with Solo Travel.” So needless to say, Thailand holds a special place in my wanderlust-y heart. From the beaches of Phuket & the magical island of Ko Phi Phi, to full-moon parties on Koh Samui, to the country’s former capital, Ayutthaya ~ which holds some of the finest temples I’ve ever seen, to the northern part of the country in Chang Mai, where you can trek through jungles & see elephants wandering in the mist….yes, Thailand travel is not to be missed.
Thailand Travel Overview!
- Safety = Moderately safe statistically speaking; some political unrest 75%
- Cost = One of the great, cheap destinations in terms of world travel 30%
- Adventures = Everywhere!!! From elephant-riding to jungle treks, to temple-gazing & beach-combing.. 100%
- How Safe I Felt as a Female Traveler = Very Safe, but be cautious in cities & with aggressive guides 90%
- Transportation = Tuk-tuks, trains, & planes! 100%
Thailand Travel Quick Facts!
- Thailand in One Word = Temples.
- Thailand in One More Word = Warm people (okay, two words).
- Wi-Fi = Wi-Fi is readily available in large cities, but less so off-the-beaten path & on beaches.
- Global Peace Ranking = #120 out of 163 countries (U.S. is #103) = Statistically not as safe as the U.S.; recent political unrest, so check with State Dept. before traveling to Thailand.
- Hotels = Much cheaper than the U.S. Consider staying in luxury hotels in Bangkok, such as the legendary Oriental & the Shangri-La ~ they’re half the price in Thailand than elsewhere in the world.
- Must-Do’s = Go to one of Thailand’s famous beaches. Get $5 Thai massages ~ HEAVEN. Wander thru temples. Visit Chang Mai. Go on a river cruise thru the jungle. Have a wild night in Bangkok.
- Is Thailand Good for Solo Travelers = Yes. It’s an extremely popular backpacker’s destination, & I personally loved my time spent traveling there solo. If you’re worried about safety, then perhaps try safer European destinations like Iceland, Austria, or Ireland.
- What to Expect as a Female Traveler = Except to meet very friendly locals who will go out of their way to help you. Be wary of tour guides who take you to “jewel factories” or other tourist traps; listen to your gut. Find people you trust to buddy up with ~ & if you’re concerned about an area, talk to your hotel concierge or hostel owner & ask for advice.
- Would I Go Back = Yes!!! 100%!!