Welcome to Nicaragua!
Mark my words: Nicaragua will become the next Costa Rica. Which is why you need to know about Nicaragua travel NOW. With its beautiful beaches, killer surf breaks, cheap prices, colorful colonial towns like Granada & Leon, & relaxed, friendly people ~ Nicaragua checks all boxes for the adventurous, fun-loving traveler.
During a month spent in Nicaragua, I experienced friendly, hard-working people who fully embody the “Work Hard, Play Hard” spirit. They’ll invite you to a local beach-side bar & buy you shots of “Flor de Cana” ~ Nicaragua’s national rum, while reggae-ton provides the beat. Nicaraguans are quick to laugh, & eager to share the best of their country with you. But the next morning ~ they’re up early, seemingly with no hangover, guiding a tour, picking coffee, or working the land. Such is life in Nicaragua.
You may not know much about Nicaragua yet ~ but in the coming years, Nicaragua travel will become more of a “thing.” Remember way back before Costa Rica became popular? Well, that’s what Nicaragua is like now. So, why wait? Head down to Nicaragua while the prices are cheap & the tourists are scarce ~ particularly if you love adventure & the outdoors. Nicaragua is waiting for you….
Nicaragua Travel Overview!
- Safety = Safer than the U.S. 85%
- Cost = Food, drink & accommodations all cheap! Great value. 30%
- Adventures = Abundant!!! Surf, hike, go volcano-boarding… 95%
- How Safe I Felt as a Female Traveler = Very Safe 90%
- Nicaraguan People = Hard-working & Friendly 90%
Nicaragua Travel Quick Facts!
- Nicaragua in One Word = Volcanoes.
- Nicaragua in One More Word = Colonial.
- Wi-Fi = Pretty good, but check if your hotel has multiple routers.
- Global Peace Ranking = #69 out of 163 (U.S. is #103) = Safer than the U.S.
- Hotels = Great value. For under $50 US per night, you can find some gems.
- Must-Do’s = Hike a volcano. Swim in Central America’s biggest lake. Visit Granada or Leon. Surf a world-class break.
- Is Nicaragua Good for Solo Travelers = Yes. I was there for a month in early 2017 & had no problems.
- What to Expect as a Female Traveler = Expect some catcalls, especially from groups of men. Fairly harmless but can be annoying.
- Would I Go Back = Yes!! I need to explore more of the beaches!
Read Nicaragua Travel Blogs!
Learn More About Nicaragua!
Nicaragua Travel Resources!
Nicaragua Travel Planning!
Get Insurance for Your Nicaragua Trip