Welcome to France!
France was the first country I ever traveled abroad to, right after college, with one of my best friends. And Paris absolutely knocked us out. It was LOVE at first sight of Notre Dame, lit up against the night sky. Traveling through France is a rite of passage for many young backpackers, but it’s no less appealing for travelers of all ages. As you get a little older, the culinary pleasures of Provence & the dreamy views of the Cote d’Azur (French Riviera), will beckon you with their Siren’s Song. The living is good in France, & it’s even better as a traveler. Welcome to your France Travel Guide…
Paris is so many people’s favorite city: it’s the quintessential city of romance. Whether you’re walking along the Champs Elysees, strolling through the Louvre, or checking into the world-famous Georges V: Paris is a city full of delights. You may not understand what it means to “fall in love” with a city ~ but you likely will after spending a few days in Paris. Then, you have the French Riviera, filled with some of the most famous cities in the world: Nice, Cannes, St. Tropez, the hilltop jewel with soaring views, Eze, & of course, the glitzy principality of Monaco (technically its own country, yet within French borders).
If you love road trips, take a drive through the hills of Provence & find gems like the Gorge du Verdon (France’s Grand Canyon, with its stunning turquoise waters), or St. Paul de Vence, a charming town straight out of the 1800’s. If you love castles & bike tours: try the Loire Valley, in central France. Love wine? Head to Bordeaux to sample some red wines, or Champagne if you like bubbly. And for an absolutely other-worldly experience, try staying in the far northern part of the country, on the little island known as Mont Saint-Michel. Pure magic.
Pack your bags, & get ready for one of your favorite travel experiences ever, in this France Travel Guide!
France Travel Map
Gorge du Verdon (the French Grand Canyon)
France Travel Overview
- Safety = Very Safe, particularly once outside of major cities. 90%
- Cost = Paris is quite expensive, as is the French Riviera ~ but there are plenty of budget options 70%
- Adventures = PLENTY 90%
- How Safe I Felt as a Female Traveler = Very Safe, especially in the South of France 90%
- Best Way to Travel = By Train or Rent a Car (especially in Provence)! 100%
France Travel Quick Facts!
- France in One Word = Stunning.
- France in One More Word = Paris.
- Wi-Fi = Wi-Fi is readily available throughout France, unless in a very remote area.
- Global Peace Ranking = #51 out of 163 countries (U.S. is #103) = Europe, in general, is quite safe to travel in ~ though recently France has seen some attacks of terrorism in major cities like Paris & Nice.
- Hotels = Because of its popularity, France is one of the more expensive European destinations ~ but good deals can still be found in the off-season, at hostels & charming B&B’s throughout the country.
- Must-Do’s = Wander the streets of Paris. Get lost in the Louvre. Stand at the foot of the Eiffel Tower. Walk the red carpet in Cannes. Go yachting in the French Riviera. Take a paddle boat through the Gorge du Verdon, France’s Grand Canyon. Road trip through Provence. Tour castles in the Loire Valley.
- Is France Good for Solo Travelers = Yes. Transportation is excellent here, & you’ll easily be able to train all over the country. France is quite safe, particularly once you’re out of the cities ~ & there are plenty of hostels & small hotels to keep within your budget.
- What to Expect as a Female Traveler = Parisians tend to be a little more snobby, especially if you don’t speak French (imagine if your city was filled with tourists ALL the time…you’d probably get sick of it too). Everywhere else in the country, people are a little more relaxed. There is not a machismo culture in France ~ but the French are lovers, & can at times be purposely provocative. It’s part of their culture: take it with a grain of salt.
- Would I Go Back = Yes!!!